Email Me

Email me

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

4 Weeks Post RPAO

Today marks a month from my surgery, exactly one month ago I was in the OR getting sliced and diced.  I am happy that I will not have to do a PAO ever again.  EVER AGAIN. Never, ever, ever.  That sounds pretty darn good to me.  I realize that a LTHR will be in my future as well as right screw removal, but, no PAOs again.  If I can get through a PAO, I think a THR will be easier.

Overall I am self-sufficient.  I can't pick things up off the ground but can do everything else. I started driving a couple of days ago as well.  It's not too bad, I have enough control of my leg, just turning corners and the movement laterally of the hip by accident is what hurts.  I have stopped taking my Tylenol 3 all together and put back my Butrans patch and supplement with Tylenol Extra Strength and Tramadol 4g total in a day (yes, that is still max dose).  I appreciate the steady state of pain relief in my system, though I have lost my tolerance to the pruritis from when I was taking the Butrans pre-op so I have had to take some benedryl to prevent me from scratching off my eye lids and...well...skin in general.

Today also marks my last day off from work.  Yes, I am returning back to work at four weeks post-op.  I am not happy about this at all, but I don't have a choice and I have to try.  I was originally given three weeks but managed to get an additional week off without having to make it up at the end of the academic year.  I am going to try and return keeping in mind that if it's purely impossible then I will not hurt myself trying to work and will have to take more time off.  I am going to be miserable, I know that, I just hope I don't hinder my healing.  I hope I'm not stupid for going back so soon.

I had scheduled my return to a rotation in an outpatient clinic, but since there are three days more than four weeks in October, I have three days which need to be filled with my October Anesthesiology rotation (which I intended on missing completely).  I obviously can't go into the OR and intubate people, and that is the focus of this rotation, so I am not sure how or what I am going to do for the next couple of days.  Please pray that I make it through because I could cry thinking of just trying to get from my car to my locker to the OR area; I don't know how I'm going to do it.

I also managed to step completely down with all of my weight onto my right hip today...TWICE.  This is not an ok thing to do.  It hurt like the dickens.  I know that my surgeon did a solid job, but I can't help to worry.  Plus, with my osteomalacia, I have to be very careful since my bones are so soft. I hope this osteomalacia does not hinder my healing in any way, shape, or form.  So not looking forward to working this up in the future.

Friday is my birthday, so Happy Birthday to me: let's go back to work waaaay too soon.  Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment